Monday, March 18, 2013

Change of plans

Supper plans changed when my wife discovered the oven wasn't working.

I had planned on spending part of my evening writing a blog post about St. Joseph, since it is his solemn feast tomorrow, but I get to try and fix the oven instead. My instant reaction and feeling was frustration.


We're hosting our annual party in honour of the solemn feast of St. Joseph, husband of Mary, tomorrow, so the fact we are without an oven to get some things ready adds to the frustration.

Of course, anytime tools come out, I have four little helpers hanging around. If I wasn't already a bit frustrated, I'm sure my one-and-a-half-year old leaning over and peaking in the oven or my inquisitive three-year old asking what's wrong would be cute. Oddly enough, not so much tonight.

Score another one for the internet and online do-it-yourself information. It turns out it's a relatively minor repair, and I can easily do it myself. Of course, repair shops aren't open right now for me to pick up a part, so things will have to wait until tomorrow, which might mean more changes of plans if the part isn't in.

How would St. Joseph have responded? Well, first, his oven repairs would have been pretty simple. Do we have wood? Check. Do we have flame? Check. Problem solved.

What we do know about St. Joseph is he handled change pretty well—and he faced some pretty dramatic change. His engagement didn't quite go as planned; he was ready to break-off the engagement. The birth of Mary's son didn't quite go as planned; how to deal with barnyard animals was not part of the pre-natal class. Settling into a nice house after Jesus was born didn't quite go as planned; they didn't head to Egypt to get a good deal on a two-bedroom bungalow.

I think it's pretty safe to say St. Joseph handled all the change in his life with a calm, even head, because of his relationship with God. He understood God's ways are not always our ways. He knew how to listen to God and not let his own proud opinion get in the way. He knew how to obey God because he had faith His love would never fail or lead him astray. He knew how to patiently give love as a husband and father because he knew the love of the Father.

St. Joseph, thank you for being such a great example of humility, obedience and love. Help us deepen our relationship with God the Father, so we too may know His love and be that love to our families.

Happy Feast of St. Joseph!

No comments:

Post a Comment